Sunday, April 19, 2009

threads of time


Last year after the Spring Open Studio tour we decided to try the Saturday Farmers Market on Vashon. We have been doing it ever since. It started up again at the end of March & will go until the middle of December. Yesterday was sunny, sales were not great, $82 in four+ hours, it's the other benefits which keep us coming back. We never know who will wander through, what child will have a guinea pig hidden in her purse,  it is Vashon on Saturday, watching who shows up to support local growers of vegetables, starts & local craftspeople. Yesterday was a stretch, Jim had worked all week on a window trim project in the old Burton Hotel, M-F, 7:30-4.  I had been putting in similar hours here, building inventory for the open house weekends, getting two orders ready to ship & contemplating the clean up of the house to show the Virgin of Guadalupe as part of the tile tour, first weekend in May. So, neither of us really wanted to get up, load the car & stand up talking to anyone walking by for 4+ hours. We did. We set up together, Jim did 10-12, I drove home, rode back up on my bike with the items forgotten, replacement tea for the turned over cup during setup, rode back home to begin cleaning the living area, albeit distracted by the several games of wordscraper that are ongoing with my older daughters & one of their friends Meghan, we have 3-4 games going most of the time. I drove back up at noon & stood behind the tiles til 2. Serena & I had a chance to stand in the sun & share our week. I was barely 16 when she was born, she's the best thing that ever happened to me with the only exceptions being my other children & 1 granddaughter & now a grandson on the way.  Life is good & years that have unspooled threads of time are my friends. Thanks, Vashon.

No comments:

Post a Comment